Sunday, May 15, 2005

Germania!

Well I knew the day was coming. It seems my past has finally caught up with me. You may not realize it, but my family name - Westervelt - is Germanic in origin. In Germany they would say Vesterwelt, as they tend to see "W" and pronounce "V" (and vice versa).



I am a fully devoted user of Gmail, have been for the past year or so. One of the things that I've enjoyed about my Gmail is that there is a "Spam" folder for all of the junk mail that people tend to aquire. This isn't all that novel, as most email services have a spam folder of some kind. What I like about Gmail's rendition, though, is that when it is empty it says something to the effect of: "Hooray! No spam here!" I love that. It's downright celebratory.

Sadly, the days of celebration are over. My German heritage has caught up with me. Yesterday afternoon I began recieving all kinds of German junk mail. I have no idea what I'm being junk mailed about, with the messages being entirely in German.


[Click to enlarge.]

The lone exceptions are a few emails that I've recieved with the subject "The Whore Lived Like a German." Which begs two questions: 1. Which whore? 2. What does it mean to live like a German? (Besides of course to speak German, which these particular emails seems to be avoiding entirely.) Anyway, I have no desire to do any research into this "whore", but thanks for the heads up.

I wish that Germany would stop trying to get me to buy things that I can't even read about. I mean, I'm no marketing guru or anything, but I just don't think these ploys are very clever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home