Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Politically Correct versus Very Funny

I was trying to come up with a theme for the Cru end of the year party last week. In a moment of unadulterated inspiration I came up with this:

Filthy Rich versus Filthy Poor

Some dressed in their finest evening wear, others clothed in potato sacks and dirt (preferably rubbed in the hair). The rich sipping on ginger ale and Evian, snacking on hors d'oeuvres. The poor eating vienna sausages, cooked over a trash can fire.

I realize how very politically (or maybe morally) incorrect this all seems. The problem is that the picture this puts in my head is extremely funny. Besides, neither extravagant wealth or absolute poverty are a good thing in my view, so I wouldn't exactly be championing a given side.

Plus think of all of the sociological experiments to perform (and learn from). Would a "rich" friend associate at all with a "poor" friend at the party? Would the poor hate the rich for being rich? Would the rich hate the poor for being there? Would hors d'ouevres be exchanged for vienna sausages and vice versa?

I thought about trying to make things a little less wrong by coining the theme The Bourgeois versus The Proletariat, but it feels like that sort of thing has been done.

I'll have a good time I'm sure, Living in the 90's, but I'll always kind of wonder what might have been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home