Monday, April 25, 2005

Wilco, TX

I had the chance to see Wilco play in Houston on Saturday night. It was grand.



The setlist (in case you want to make your very own Wilco, TX playlist):

At Least That's What You Said
Muzzle Of Bees
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Handshake Drugs
Hummingbird
A Shot In The Arm
Jesus, Etc.
Kamera
War on War
Via Chicago
I'm Always In Love
Theologians
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Poor Places
Reservations
Spiders (Kidsmoke)


Encore #1:
Candy Floss
The Late Greats
Kingpin
I'm A Wheel


Encore #2:
Misunderstood
Passenger Side
California Stars


A good mix of new and old: 8 songs from A Ghost is Born, 7 from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, 4 from Summer Teeth, 2 from Being There, 1 each from A.M. and Mermaid Avenue. That seemed about right.

Here's a snippet of Poor Places that someone taped at the show (right-click, save as). I'll post more if I can track more down.

Jeff Tweedy was a bit testy at times, which he blamed on having just quit smoking. This led him to saying amusing things between songs without affecting the music (which was really, really good). At one point the pro music downloading Tweedy commented, "I think we're going to start releasing our music only on vinyl. How about that? (cheers.) And maybe LaserDisc too. Do you guys have those? (more cheers.) What if we just released our stuff as sheet music? You guys wouldn't copy it would you?"

If only I could read sheet music...

[Picture courtesy of houstonmusicreview.com]

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Probably the best show I have seen in two years...

Wilco is fast becoming one of my favorite live acts.

I laughed... I cried... it was better than "Cats"...

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the best show I have seen because I was with Doug and Brett. And Jeff Tweedy is funny and mean.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is all the nerve i have left.

happy and sad and back again.

Dear Chicago.

beautiful...thanks.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home