Wednesday, December 07, 2005

also...

I've been listening to the new Ryan Adams album 29 quite a bit lately. It comes out on December 20, just in time for stuffing in stockings. Get your children started on Ryan Adams early, some would say he's prolific, and they'll need a lifetime to digest all of the good music he puts out. You can stream the album, by way of preview, here. [care of scenestars]



The concept? Ryan Adams, in a Pitchfork interview:

It has nine songs, and all the songs are nine minutes long, they're all story-songs. And it's basically just me and a piano, me and a guitar, with Ethan. It's really cerebral. The theme of it was that I wanted to write a record where I could write myself out of my twenties. So for each year of my life, in my twenties, I kind of assigned different parts of my character, I gave them names. The last song is a song from the perspective, believe it or not, of a ghost. When it's just passed out of a body, and it goes "Don't go to the light/ I'll show you how to haunt." This spirit is trying to conjure this dead child, this dead person, back to the house where they died. So they can haunt it.


Early favorites of mine are Blue Sky Blues, Starlite Diner, and Voices. Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part has a bit of a Damien Rice feel to it, which is kind of interesting. Does anyone else feel the need to listen to Damien Rice when it's cold out like this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home