Friday, December 16, 2005

Sufjan vs. Sufjan vs. Seay



I'm not much of a Christmas music sort of person. It all strikes me as a bit over the top, and well cheesy. I am, though, a big fan of Christmas hymns. I see no need for them to be relegated to the days between whatever day Thanksgiving is on and the 25th of December. If it were up to me the Herald Angels would sing "Hark" year round. Quite possibly one of my top songs of the year is a Christmas hymn: O Come, O Come Emmanuel. I'm not sure if it's valid to have a song from the 9th century as one of your top songs of the year, but I've been reading a lot of Isaiah and liking ancient of late. An excerpt:

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death's dark shadows put to flight.


By way of infusing some good, pre-capitalistic Christmas music into this world [savefile follow link]:

Sufjan Stevens - O Come, O Come Emmanuel
Sufjan Stevens - O Come, O Come Emmanuel (Shorter, Sweeter)
Robbie Seay - O Come, O Come Emmanuel

The Robbie Seay song is off of an EP called December, which I highly recommend. It includes a cover of the Patty Griffin song Mary. I don't see the album for sale on his website so I don't feel too badly about giving it to you as well. Besides, it's Christmas:

Robbie Seay - Mary (Patty Griffin cover)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home