Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Art or Not Smart?

So I consider myself an artist. I think everyone is artistic in their own way. It's an important way of expressing yourself. Currently I have an installation in my kitchen. I call it "The Wasteland: a reflection of life gone awry":



The picture, being 2D, doesn't really capture the essence of the 3D interactiveness of the exhibit, but hopefully it gives you some idea.

Sadly, some artists aren't appreciated in their lifetime, or even in their own household. My roommates seem to think that my installation is "disgusting" and "needs to be thrown away." I told them that what they were saying was good, that they were expressing some of the very same emotions I was trying to conjure up. When life goes awry, sometimes you just want to throw it all away.

They kind of looked at me weird, with Paul complaining that I was tainting his Clementines (which are in close proximity to my piece). I don't want to step on any toes, but I also don't want to compromise my artistic vision... which pretty much means I need to have a vote.

Do you think my piece is Art or that it's Not Smart?

[If no one votes, art will carry the day, b/c infusing culture is far superior to preserving Clementines.]

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

As an artist I have a hard time saying anything isn't "art." I'm a big fan of most any kind of art, especially if it is visually appealing or has some profound meaning. I appreciate Brett's meaning to the bananas but the only problem is that his so called "art" began as a science experiment (he wanted to see what part of the bananas would break first, allowing them to fall.) Based on this information I have to vote NOT SMART. Sorry Brett.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home