Wednesday, March 09, 2005

ring, ring sing,sing

I, like most of the rest of you, have a cell phone. Sometimes I talk on my phone. Sometimes I use my phone as an alarm to wake me up from power naps. Sometimes I open and close my phone (it's a flip-phone) when I feel like fidgetting (which is often). I have not, however, fallen prey to the ridiculous cultural pheonomena known as the ring-tone. "Hey look, when someone calls me, my phone rejoices by blaring the latest in pop music or some sort of sambata." My phone rings, almost as if it were, that's right, a phone!

I'm getting up on this structurally unsound soapbox of mine so I can fall right off of it. That's right, yesterday I joined the rank and file. It's their fault:



Instead of ringing, my phone now blares a 14 second portion of the Guster song Careful: Ringing all the warning bells / careful you don't hurt yourself / others lie, lie, lie / they adore you. PLAY. REPEAT. REPEAT. VOICEMAIL.

I figure if everyone else is going to polute the air with their Toxic's and their Rock Your Body's that I should fight back with some positive reinforcement. Don't consider this an annoying ringtone, consider this a good music education.

So far this whole Guster - Careful ring, ring thing is working out pretty well for me. Every time my phone rings it makes my day way better. I do tend to miss a fair number of calls, because I tend to like listening to my ring a bit more than answering my phone. Plus there's the whole good music education thing... so don't feel bad about my not answering.

In other pop news, it turns out that musicians I like tend to cover pop songs I like. A smattering:

Ted Leo: Since You've Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson) [MP3, care of Stereogum]
Ben Gibbard: Complicated (Avril Lavigne) [MP3, care of being green]
Wilco: Love Will Keep Us Together (Captain & Tennille) [MOV, care of via chicago]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home