Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Enjoying uncertainty.

I have an iPod. It's from a while back so it doesn't have the click-wheel or the 12-hour battery (more like 7 or 8 hour). I like it though. I would actually go so far as to say I love it.

Recently I upgraded my iPod's software and now it has a Shuffle Songs feature on the main menu. This is kind of like letting your iPod pick your music for you. Hit Shuffle Songs, kick back with a cup of coffee (and possibly a crossword puzzle if it's Monday-Wednesday) and hope for the best.

Usually my iPod is a little shaky on its selection. Third Eye Blind slotted between Patty Griffin and one of the 2004 Presidential Debates... randomly bad. Monday, though, my iPod came through in the clutch with a stellar playlist which I have preserved for posterity:



1. You Will Always Be The Same - Ryan Adams - The Swedish Sessions
2. Mr. Brightside - The Killers - Hot Fuss [US]
3. Bonus Reprise - Brooks Williams - Skiffle Bop
4. Come Let Us Worship - Chris Tomlin - Not to Us
5. This Room - The Notwist - Neon Golden [Bonus Tracks]
6. Terrible Vision - Rhett Miller - The Instigator
7. Not To Us - Chris Tomlin - Passion, Sacred Revolution
8. Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters - Elton John - Honky Chateau
9. Kamera (alternate version) - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Demos


That's impressive. A few current favorites (1,2,9) a few old favorites (6,8) a few really good songs I'd never gotten into (3,5) some well placed worship since I was reading my Bible (4,7).

It was at this point that I had to leave Peet's to go to a meeting. I'd like to think my iPod was about to throw in Guster - Two Points for Honesty - Lost and Gone Forever and Eisley - Trolly Wood - Room Noises to get the official Brett playlist stamp of approval, but I guess I'll never know.

I'd love to hear about your own suprisingly good iPod sequenced moments, so if you have any shuffle miracles post the playlist in my comments. If you don't have an iPod, I don't want you to feel excluded... so maybe drop all of your CDs on the ground and tell me what order you pick them up in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

sam- as you know i always highly respect your opinions on all things music. that's why it hurts a little for you to assume my writing off of the Album. you should always think the best of people.

though i do agree with you that the iPod, and more specifically the iTunes store with its 99 cent/song pricing structure, could contribute to the demise of the Album, i truly believe that a good Album will always be accepted and appreciated. some people may buy their music in a piecemeal fashion, but hey some people also really like country music.

i find that most true music lovers (such as myself) actually appreciate mix tapes (or in this case playlists) as our own vaunted (if sometimes futile) attempts at imitating the Album concept. there are very specific rules to a mix tape, involving track selection and ordering that are really only attempts at combining songs into a form worthy of the best Albums out there... and as we all know, imitation is of the most sincere forms of flattery out there.

don't see my occasional use of the "shuffle songs" as a quick fix path, see it as me letting my iPod (which i love) try its hand at the Album imitation game.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Brett said...

sam - no love. i feel none.

i'll simply recite a line of the too rarely quoted doc holiday:

"you're no daisy."

...and plan on settling the score on the Ving court on saturday.

10:45 PM  
Blogger paul said...

The fact of the matter is that some "albums" just aren't worthy of purchase. If you want today's consumer to buy an album, make a good one. Make me love every track. Make me see the reason for their placement. Make me dig. Five months from now, I want to pick this album up again, and realize that I never really understood the unappreciated genius of [insert track name here] until just this moment.

Make me go to the store and buy it.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home