Thursday, February 24, 2005

the Go.C.



I know I've mentioned the O.C. in passing a few times, which probably has you wondering, "is Brett really a the O.C. fan?" Yes, he is. I am, and I'm willing to justify myself if need be.

I've been withholding comment while Season 2 has unfolded, because frankly I didn't know what to think. [this is unlike my roommate Paul, who has commented aplenty: here and here]

Last week I almost posted something, tentatively entitled "the Faux.C.", but then I went to the Dallas and it didn't happen. This is what I was thinking last week, and I quote (myself):

"I'm a fan of the O.C., and it's no secret. Well, it's sort of a secret. It's not something I hide from my inner circle, and it's not something I share with any and all passerby. I'm not ashamed, I'm just concerned with perception not within the control of my ability to explain myself.

There are things I like about the O.C. which include the music, the witty banter (primarily involving Seth), the story of redemption and some grace (Ryan, under the watchful eyes of Kirsten and Sandy Cohen), the close-knit group of friends living out the doldrums and excitements found in high-school/college life (not my life, mind you, but probably someone's)... what I'm saying is I like Season 1 of the O.C.

Season 2 has had its moments, if you look hard enough. Some of the music is interesting, bits and pieces of the banter are witty, but for the most part the O.C. Season 2 has been playing the role of movie sequel to the O.C. Season 1. Think about all of the really bad movie sequels out there: the Matrix 2 (& 3), Free Willy 2, Rocky V... they exist on shear marketing potential. Once you start watching, you know you've made a mistake, but your money is already far far away.

That's what I feel like Season 2 of the O.C. is... The good stories are gone, Josh Schwartz's iPod is spent (and major label cash has begun to flow)... I am watching a bad sequel. I just haven't quite gotten to the part where I walk out yet."


That was last week. Then this week happened. It was a rainy day in sunny the O.C. [cue Blind Melon - "No Rain"] Seth and Ryan each try to get the other to walk through the rain to the kitchen and pool house, respectively, so that they can talk about their girl problems. Witty dialogue with funny gesturing to boot.

Sandy Cohen finally comes to his senses and returns to true love-his-wife/protect-his-family form. This happens conveniently as he's blocked from returning home by a washed out road (the rain), and forced to spend the night with his long-lost-fugitive-former fiance. Typical soap opera fodder, I realize; until Kirsten turns the table on the whole situation by making fun of how very predictably lame the washed out road really is.

All this is simply background to the Seth/Summer/Zach plot arch. Summer and Zach are about to leave for Italy, for his sister's wedding, and a life of happiness together forever. As hard as he tries, Seth can't muster the words to win Summer back (even as she, unbeknownst to him, is waiting to be won back). This storyline had it all: the conversations where no one says what they really want to, the two heads simultaneously slamming against opposite sides of a door out of sheer frustration, the flight that's about to leave but gets delayed with more time for fate to intervene... all leading up to a comic book ending (Spiderman in this case).

The cracks in the marketing-ploy Marissa/Alex lesbian fling are beginning to show, and Marissa finds herself consoling a downcast Ryan, who is standing in the rain mourning the departure of Lindsay... who no one else will miss in the least.

And to what soundtrack does all of this occur? A cover of "Champagne Supernova" (Oasis) by Matt Pond PA... cleverly brilliant. All topped off by a rerun next week, which means a week to let it all sink in.

That's the O.C. I know and love. Semi-predictable storylines fueled by a hopeless romantic, wrapped up in great writing and well-placed music. Welcome back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home