Monday, February 21, 2005

Cup of Joe Peet's



One thing you haven't been appreciating about Peet's if you've simply been reading my blog is the Peet's (to go) coffee cup. If one were to go to Starbucks, one would get a white cup with the (in)famous Starbucks logo on it. The logo is that last ounce of advertising Starbucks was looking for: "Why yes I am drinking Starbucks coffee, thanks for noticing. Where did I get this coffee you ask? Well I got this particular cup at the Starbucks on 24th and San Antonio, but you could also get a similar blend at the Starbucks on 5th and Lamar or at the Starbucks on 15th and San Antonio." This only changes around Christmas time, when Starbucks starts giving out red cups upon which they've managed to turn their green, circular logo into a wreath of sorts. It's as though they're saying "Starbucks is awesome like Santa Claus, only more awesome b/c Starbucks actually exists (on every corner)."

Peet's doesn't share this complex with its Seattle contemporary; in fact you won't even find a Peet's logo on their cup. My medium coffee of the day (no room for cream) came in a delectable container printed with "an ancient ceramic flat stamp motif, depicting a human hand (mait), from Central America". [see image, above] I feel more cultured by the sip.

Today's brew was the Major Dickason's Blend:

"This is the coffee that many of our customers identify with Peet's. Over the years it has gained a reputation among coffee lovers for its satisfying, rich and mellow (some say comforting) flavor qualities. The blend's components contribute their regional characteristics but are balanced to make a well-rounded cup that is complex yet smooth. We always use the best coffees from several origins for this premier blend, so the customers who order "a pound of Major" won't be disappointed. It produces a first-rate cup in a French press, not to mention an exquisite espresso."

The Major Dickason's was great, if you ask me. I do wonder though, what happens if I order "a major pound of Major"? Do I get a little bit more than a pound (kind of like a baker's dozen), do I get a laugh because I've wittily used "major" in two different ways, or do I get a confused look/punch in the face? I, for one, would like to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home