Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Point Taken...

So it would appear from comments both in the blog-o-sphere and in person, that I have soundly lost the Point/Counterpoint on the term "brutally honest."

Maybe my remarks weren't witty enough. ("A house divided..." is getting to be a little cliche at this point.) Maybe I just didn't get out the vote like Tracy did. Maybe associating myself with the UT basketball team at such a fragile time was a negative strategy. (No one likes to associate with the down and out.) Maybe I needed a slogan that people could latch on to like "Brutal honesty: the truth 'til it hurts today, a bright future tomorrow."

Of course it's also possible that I was wrong. That's right, you're hearing me admit it: I was wrong. I've been accused in the past (yesterday) by certain someones (Melody) of arguing for the sake of arguing. Of valuing my own rightness over what is really true.

I'm almost 23 now, and feel that it's time to mature in this not-being-wrong area of my life. Earlier, I made a conciliatory phone call to Tracy. I'm not waiting for every last vote to be counted, I'm realizing my mistake right now. From now on, you'll only hear me say the phrase "brutally honest" when someone says something truthful that is, in and of itself, painful.

Tracy 1, Brett 0.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home