Friday, December 16, 2005

Chesterton & Dylan

I finished off Orthodoxy earlier today. It's a bit difficult in places, but it should be read. A few of us have spent the semester talking about the Gospel in terms of Creation, the Fall, and Redemption. I think Chesterton has some good thoughts on the reality of the Fall. From the last chapter, Authority and the Adventurer:

"The primary paradox of Christianity is that the ordinary condition of man is not his sane or sensible condition; that the normal itself is an abnormality. That is the inmost philosophy of the Fall. In Sir Oliver Lodge's interesting new Catechism, the first two questions were: 'What are you?' and 'What, then, is the meaning of the Fall of Man?' I remember amusing myself by writing my own answers to the questions; but I soon found that they were very broken and agnostic answers. To the question, "What are you?' I could only answer, 'God knows.' And to the question, 'What is meant by the Fall?' I could answer with complete sincerity, 'that whatever I am, I am not myself.' This is the prime paradox of our religion; something that we have never in any full sense known, is not only better than ourselves, but ever more natural to us than ourselves."


Some more Dylan Greatest Hits - The Times They Are A-Changin':

"The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home