Friday, March 11, 2005

the big apple of my eye

I'm going to New York (they of Pace Pecante Sauce fame, NEW YORK CITY!?!) tomorrow. It should be fun. I mean a lot of people live there and we live in the United States where people can pretty much live wherever they want, so it can't be all bad.

I've never been to New York though, and I'm afraid the hype might kill it for me. Everyone's always filming their movies there, talking about how much better pizza is there, riding around on the back of a flat bed truck performing their music there. Everyone's hearting NY.

This concerns me. For a good portion of my life I happily played the role of social outcast. Currently, I find myself sometimes playing the role of hipster. Being a hipster is pretty much the same thing as being an outcast, except people eventually like the things that you like, just after you're through liking them.

Playing the role of hipster in NYC gets confusing, because people already like New York and people already hate New York. The only outcast ground to lay claim to is in either only kind of liking New York or in appreciating the unappreciated aspects of the city. The problem is there are a host of people there already doing that. New York is full of hipsters.

While I might feel confused about this venture, I do want to figure out what this is, b/c it looks cool:



I read this today and it made me laugh:

"I think [a metaphor] should be called a lie because a pig is not like a day and people do not have skeletons in their cupboards. And when I try and make a picture of the phrase in my head it just confuses me because imagining an apple in someone's eye doesn't have anything to do with liking someone a lot and it makes you forget what the person was talking about."

I'm going on a blog hiatus... on account of me being in New York and not feeling the role of "New York blogger" to be all that original, and on account of me wanting you to miss me from time to time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you Brett. Nobody ever comes to my office to say hi anymore. Well, Dan comes in sometimes, but he doesn't say anything. And I guess I'm not really there much myselft anymore, but whatever.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home